Monday, June 4, 2012

Pawpaw


Pawpaw: Asimina triloba
  Pawpaw: Asimina triloba

This was an interesting story (The Pawpaw: Foraging for America's Forgotten Fruit) that I came upon when looking through NPR. In West Virginia you can find these trees thought the woodlands. It has only been recently that I have spotted some pawpaw trees reaching in excess of 20'. Normally the tree is no taller than 8', but this is due to the plants that have outgrown the pawpaw (these are in areas of my travel - in densely wooded areas). I find this interesting that people are beginning to eat the edible fruit on the pawpaw tree. I will try t post a video of myself eating a pawpaw when I am able to find one.
Pawpaw Fruit

NPR: The Salt - News Story on the Radio

Description:This tree is part of the Annonaceae Family (Custard Apple Family), which are considered to be trees or small shrubs that are aromatic. Containing a simple arrangement of leaves with a obovate leaf type. Contains an edible fruit that resembles a small banana or plantain. This is an understory tree/shrub, which is why it contains large leaves for collection of greater amounts of sunlight.

History: The town Paw Paw, WV in Morgan County is named for this tree as are other towns across the United States. The edible fruit was a favorite of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

Use: Article describes that there is a potential use to fruit. The plant has not been cultivated as of yet to grow on farmland.

Tiny Desk Kitchen: What The Heck Is A Pawpaw? from NPR on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the story behind the Pawpa. As a history person the story behind a species or a particular tree are what draw me and help me remember the tree. I also like how interactive you are with the trees. I can't wait to see you find a Pawpa to eat. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete